Susan L. Gayle – SPED Parent Resource Coordinator
Susan Gayle has been working with Caroline County Public Schools since 1984, first as a volunteer and then as a substitute school teacher.
Since 1994, Susan has been working at the Parent Resource Center and brings much experience in the field of Special Education. She keeps current on Federal and State Regulations through workshops, seminars and training from the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) , the Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center (PEATC), Partnership for People with Disabilities, and the Center for Family Involvement and other State Agencies.
As the mother of three children, one of which has special needs, Susan understands on a personal level how confusing the process of Special Education can be. She has conducted several workshops on “Understanding Special Education” from the beginning of the process through Transition to higher education and/or the workforce.
Other workshops include “The IEP Process”, “The ABC’s of Behavior”, “How To Talk So Schools Will Listen and Listen So Schools Will Talk”, “Family Relationship Series”, and much more. Susan is glad to be a “listening ear” for parents during some of the difficult times of raising children.
- 1994-Special Education Law: Student Discipline – Law Advisory
- From 1997 to 2001, Susan served as the chairperson for the Special Education Advisory Committee
- Since 2000, member of the Fredericksburg Regional Transition Coalition which coordinates the event – Pathways to the Future – Transition Fair for students and adults with disabilities.
- Since 2002, she has served as ex-officio/consultant for the SEAC committee.
- 2003, Completed the requirements to be “Highly Qualified” as specified in the No Child Left Behind Act .
- October 2006, How to Use Special Education to Improve Results for Your Child – PEATC
- November 2006, Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools.
- September 2007, Completed online Autism Course – Autism Society of America .
- November 2007, Completed Fundamentals of Autism – George Mason University – 9 recertification credits
- November 2008, Re-Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools.
- Since 2008 – Member of the Caroline Middle School Oversight Committee
- Member of RLCC – Region 13 – Regional Literacy Coordinating Committee
- 2009 – Co-Chair for the Family Fair Planning Committee
- May, 2010 – Completed the ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) workshop in suicide first aid
- 2010 – Chair for the Family Fair Planning Committee
- November 2010, Re-Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools.
- 2010 – The coalition developed into the Fredericksburg Area Council on Transition (FACT) consisting of more than 20 agencies/participants to further the community project of Transition.
- November 2012, Re-Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools.
- 2013 – Vice-Chair of the FACT committee.
- 2014 – Suicide Alertness 1-day Training
- 2014 – ASIST Suicide 2-day Training (revised)
- 2014 – June – Certified-Mental Health First Aid USA
- 2014 – Basic Mediation Training – VDOE and Va Supreme Court
- 2014 – August – Certified LEAP-Leadership for Empowerment & Abuse Prevention- Support Trainer for Central Virginia. Grant position with VCU Partnership for People with Disabilities Project Goal: To teach people with developmental and other disabilities about healthy relationships and how to better protect themselves from assault, abuse, neglect and violence.
- 2014 – Completed – Parents as Collaborative Leaders – Basic – PEATC
- 2014 – November – Re-Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools.
- 2015 – September – Bridges Out of Poverty – Ruby Payne
- 2015 – September – Certified Trainer – Getting Ahead in a Just-Getting’ By World – Facilitator Training – Ruby Payne
- 2016- April – Got Trauma? How It Affects You – Germanna Community College
- 2016 – Completed – Parents as Collaborative Leaders-Advanced – PEATC
- 2016 – November – Re-Certified Mandt Trainer for Caroline County Public Schools
- 2016 – December – Certified – Youth Mental Health First Aid USA
- 2017 – Career Counselor-DARS-Section 511– Trainer for VCU
To reach Susan by email: email@example.com