News from the Caroline County Public Schools –
Parent Teacher Resource Center
Tsunami Swimming is offering free swim lessons for youth ages 5 – 18 who are from low income households. Receiving Federal or State financial assistance. Lessons start on Sunday February 18th, and run for 6 weeks for 30 minutes. Classes are held between 4 and 6 pm at Fredericksburg Academy. The First twenty qualified applicants will be guaranteed a spot in class Swimmers also receive a free swimsuit, swim cap and goggles. Contact Peter Maloney for more information. 540-371-4369 http://www.TsunamiSwimming.org
FREE TAX PREPARATION – Rappahannock United Way –
For tax site locations and schedule, visit
www.RUWFreeTaxes.org or call (540) 373-0041 ext. 300.
- Tuesday, February 20 – Video Show at the PTRC 10:00 am OR 1:00 pm – Helping Your Child Get Ready to Read – View the video and make activities to take home.
- Tuesday, February 27 – Video Show at the PTRC 10:00 am OR 1:00 pm – Phonemic Awareness & Phonics – View the video and make activities to take home.
- 24 February– Smithsonian Morning at the Museum at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Independence Ave SW & 7th St SW, Washington, DC 20560 on Saturday, February 24th from 9 to 10am. Morning at the Museum is a Smithsonian program that provides access to a museum for individuals with cognitive and sensory processing disabilities by providing early entrance into the museum, facilitated movement and art activities, and a “Take a Break” Space! The museum regularly opens to the public at 10am. Registration is REQUIRED at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/si-morning-at-the-museum-hirshhorn-museum-and-sculpture-garden-tickets-41722156092. For more info, contact email@example.com.
- Friday, March 2 – Read Across America 10:00am -12 noon @ the PTRC. 1:00 pm – Make a Book to take home.
- Tuesday, March 6 – Video Show at the PTRC 10:00 am OR 1:00 pm – Reading Together – View the video and make activities to take home.
- SEAC – Special Education Advisory Committee – next meeting Monday, March 19, 2018 – 4:30 pm – Parent Teacher Resource Center – 16261 Richmond Turnpike, Bowling Green, VA. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend. For more info CLICK HERE To be added to the agenda, contact Wendy Sneed, SEAC Chairperson – Wendy.Sneed@dss.virginia.gov 804-633-5071 ext 114 or Susan Gayle at the PTRC at 804-633-7083
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- SAVE THE DATE – April 28th – Dyslexia Conference – Chesterfield, VA
- Cast for Kids – May 12th, 2018 James River, Osborne Landing
Cast for Kids is hosting 40 children (ages 5-18) this year. All children will receive a fishing pole, tackle box, t-shirt, hat, plaque and life jacket to keep. Each participant has the option to ride on a boat or fish from the shore. All participants must sign up and be accompanied by an adult. Lunch will be provided for the parent and child. Click the above link for complete infohttp://castforkids.org/event/jamesriver/
- The 7th Annual Virtual TechKnowledgy Conference
Assistive technology (AT) can often be the game changer that allows children, youth and young adults to fully participate and be independent in educational and community activities. All you need to participate is a computer and sessions are free.
- Preparing for the Real World
March 1, 2018, 12:00 – 1:00 and 3:00 – 4:00
Join us for a fast-paced discussion of assistive technology to ease the transition from high school to post-secondary or employment environments. Many transitioning young adults struggle with time management, reading, note taking, and stress management. We will share tools and strategies we have found to be successful with this age group. https://techknowledgy.ttaconline.org/Schedule/Z043-105nkecvDIlzokitw
Autism Spectrum Disorders:
Commonwealth Autism’s 2018 Annual Autism Conference: Raising Expectations
March 7 & 8, 2018
at the Westin Richmond
Breakout sessions include Autism, Anxiety, & Feeding Disorders, Preventing Trauma, Abuse, & Neglect, Information on Medicaid Waivers and ABLE Accounts, Transition Planning, Sexuality and Sex Education for People with Disabilities, Preparing for Academic and Social Success for Preschoolers, and more.http://www.autismva.org/2018AnnualConference
Plan to attend this informative event!
THIS SATURDAY AT CAROLINE MIDDLE SCHOOL – 9AM