WHAT IS SEAC?
SEAC is the Special Education Advisory Committee.
Every school division is required to have a SEAC as detailed in Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, effective January 25, 2010 (special education regulations). The major purpose of SEACs is to provide an opportunity for parents and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. SEACs are extensions of local school boards since members are appointed by them, and SEACs provide reports and recommendations to their school boards. We are actively recruiting parents, teachers and community members to be a part of SEAC. We value your comments/questions concerning special education in Caroline County.
The Caroline County Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) works with the school board, administrators, parents and teachers who are responsible for students receiving special education services.
- To advise the local school system of the needs in the education of children with disabilities
- To assist the local school system in the development of long-range plans which will provide needed services for children with disabilities
- To submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the local school board.
- To review annually the school system’s updated special education plan and application for federal funding.
- To hold a minimum of six regular meetings, which the public is encouraged to attend.
- Parents/guardians of children with a disability
- Individuals with a disability
- Representatives of community/civic organizations
- Representative of a local business or industry
- Public agency personnel
- Anyone interested in the education of children with disabilities
SEAC is currently seeking new members to represent each school. New members receive training on the purpose and guidelines of the Special Education Advisory Committee and the importance of the committee recommendations to the County School Board.
Contact the PRC for an application or download an application from the Document Page under the SEAC page.
The Special Education Department needs your voice in shaping the future.
Become involved in the Special Education Advisory Committee.
Join us –
Give us your thoughts of how we can improve the education of students with disabilities.
If schools close early or are closed due to inclement weather , then the meeting will be cancelled.
There is a designated time for public comment during the meeting where individuals can express concerns regarding educational issues. Those wishing to address the committee regarding non-agenda concerns must sign up prior to the meeting.
For more information, contact Susan Gayle at the PRC – 804-633-7083 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the SEAC by emailing: email@example.com
All information is confidential!!
CCPS – Parent Resource Website for updates/changes Phone 804-633-7083
For more information: click the attachment on the SEAC – Document Page: “Serving on Local Special Education Committees”.