When: Tuesday, January, 20, 2015
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Where: Caroline High School – library
Welcome to 2015!!! Now’s the time to be part of a wonderful committee to improve the education for students with disabilities.
Be a part of the solution! Get involved! We are looking for parent representatives from each school. The Special Education Department needs your voice in shaping the future.
For additions to the agenda or comments to SEAC –
Sign up to receive text messages for upcoming events/meetings:
Enter this number in your cell phone: 571-485-7668
Enter this text: @1afd4
From the VDOE webpage:
Local special education advisory committees (SEACs) have a long history in Virginia. Every school division is required to have a SEAC as detailed in Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, effective January 25, 2010 (special education regulations).
The major purpose of SEACs is to provide an opportunity for parents and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. SEACs are extensions of local school boards since members are appointed by them, and SEACs provide reports and recommendations to their school boards.
The Caroline County Special Education Advisory Committee works with the school board, administrators, parents and teachers who are responsible for students receiving special education services.
To advise the local school system of the needs in the education of children with disabilities
To assist the local school system in the development of long-range plans which will provide needed services for children with disabilities
To submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the local school board.
To review annually the school system’s updated special education plan and application for federal funding.
To hold a minimum of six regular meetings, which is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Please join us for the final SEAC meeting for this school year,
Monday, June 16, 2014- 5:30 p.m. at the Parent Resource Center
(located behind the OLD Bowling Green Elementary School in the trailer)
We will review the school year at this meeting and make plans for next school year.
Why do we do all of this??? See the VA regulations excerpt below:
The special education regulations pertaining to local SEACs provide a great deal of flexibility to localities as they implement this requirement. The regulations at 8 VAC 20-81-230 D state that:
D. A local advisory committee for special education, appointed by each local school board, shall advise the school board through the division superintendent.
- A majority of the committee shall be parents of children with disabilities or individuals with disabilities.
- The committee shall include one teacher.
- Additional local school division personnel shall serve only as consultants to the committee.
2. The functions of the local advisory committee shall be as follows:
- Advise the local school division of needs in the education of children with disabilities;
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities;
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the division superintendent for transmission to the local school board;
- Assist the local school division in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services;
- Review the policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to submission to the local school board; and
- Participate in the review of the local school division’s annual plan, as outlined in subdivision B.2. of this section.
3. Public notice shall be published annually listing the names of committee members and including a description of ways in which interested parties may express their views to the committee.
4. Committee meetings shall be held at least four times in a school year and shall be open to the public.
Meeting updates can be found on: http://prc.blogs.ccps.us/
SEAC email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All meetings are open to the public
SEAC = Special Education Advisory Committee
The major purpose of SEACs is to provide an opportunity for parents, families and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. SEACs are extensions of local school boards since members are appointed by them, and SEACs provide reports and recommendations to their school boards.
Due to schools being closed for weather, SEAC meeting notifications were not sent out.
The Special Education Advisory Committee meeting scheduled for tonight has been cancelled.
The next SEAC meeting will be on Monday, February 24, 2014, 5:30 p.m. at the Parent Resource Center.